I am quite possibly the worst cook in the world. I am deathly afraid of food poisoning so I burn the hell out of everything, and if its not a grilled steak, then my cooking is more than likely inedible.
That being said, the below recipe is not something I came up with. All the credit goes to my girlfriend, who is sick of making things for me. Below I will lay out her idiot proof recipe that even I can make. Here is the best part, the chicken and meals are still enjoyable, juicy, and fresh even after days in the fridge. No more dry chicken for this guy… Next up, conquering how to boil an egg!
Here is what you will need.
- A crockpot
- 6 or so chicken breasts
- A big bottle of salsa (get it in the ethnic foods section, not the picante pace stuff)
- Some cilantro
- A lime
- a packet of taco seasoning
- Put the chicken in the crockpot.
- Dump all the salsa in the crockpot.
- Dump the taco seasoning in the crockpot.
- Squeeze the lime juice from the whole lime in the crockpot.
- Put in as much cilantro as you want.
- Kind of mix it around with you hands (wash your damn hands first) to spread all the ingredients out.
- Set the crockpot on High for 4 hours.
- Go away for 4 hours, if your crockpot has the “keep warm” setting then you can go away for a bit longer.
- Come back.
- Take a fork or whatever and shred the chicken all up (while still in the now cooled down crockpot)
- Get out all your tupperwares.
- Put them on a scale and using tongs put in as much shredded chicken as you need. The chicken will still be very saturated with the “broth”, thats a good thing.
- Now that you have your protein amounts set up in the little tupperware, you can add in the proper amount of rice, etc.
I love this meal as something to grab out of the fridge on the go. With rice, the juices and everything get all intermingled and its awesome. Microwave it up and you are set.